Friday, April 6, 2012

Diapering Part II

Remember my previous post on diapering? Today I'm following up on that, and I'm really excited about it. I'm sorry for another baby post, but it's really all I can manage to think about these days. We are a mere 6 weeks away from D-Day!

This week I discovered that Buy Buy Baby now carries some gDiaper products. They have some of the pants and refills, though they do not carry the cloth inserts or liners. But that's alright! The refills are ultimately the most expensive part of the deal. Buy Buy Baby is owned by Bed Bath & Beyond. They are constantly sending out 20% off coupons and such and you can use BB&B coupons there as well. I was so excited for not only that reason, but that I had some credit there. I decided to go ahead and start my investment to make the commitment to eco-friendly/cloth diapering. 

After some careful thinking, I've decided it isn't worth the investment in cloth diapering as a newborn (with this style). He'll just grow so fast and it's hard to estimate how big he'll be. I went ahead and bought some gpants for 8-14 pounds and then the size medium for 13-28 pounds (....he's going to be potty trained after 28 pounds, right? Hehe.). I got some of the compostable/biodegradable inserts for both sizes as well. I still have quite a few more pants to get to add to the collection, but I feel we're off to a good start! 

Aren't they so adorable! And soft too!

These are the size small, not even the newborns and they're so tiny and stinking cute! The best part is the snap-in breathable liner that allows you so rinse it out for multiple uses before the cover needs to be washed. The green pants below shows the diaper insert already in it. 


For cloth diapers...get ready, I love this concept....there's a cloth diaper liner that allows the liquid to seep through to the cloth but catches the poo. You can then just toss the liner (& poo!) into the toilet (perfectly safe) and flush it away. That way I most often won't need to ever wash the poop, just wet cloth inserts.... I know that's ideal, and poop has ways of getting everywhere and seeping into places you'd never dreamed up....this isn't a perfect plan, but for the most part it's supposed to work. We plan on trying to stick to cloth when home and using the disposable refills when out and about. That way we'll be saving quite a bit of money. The disposable refills can add up quickly. Plus, who wants to carry a wet diaper around in their nice diaper bag? Not me!

Below are two small gpants and two refills. See the snap-in plastic liner? It's actually really soft.


 The website is super helpful and a great resource. They have several videos to help with fitting and correctly putting on the diaper, as well as problem solving tips for issues such as leaking and washing. I've already been emailing their "therapy group" for answers to questions I had such as cream and diaper rash (which apparently is super rare with these diapers because they are so breathable and wick away moisture naturally). I got answers back right away. 

Our colorful rainbow.

And just to try it on for sizing....I don't have a model baby right now, so I thought I'd just use my future baby's Sleep Sheep.


Oh yes. A baby needs to go "back to sleep", but just for the full idea and picture...


I still need to invest in the cloth inserts, cloth liners, and some more small and medium gpants for now, but I'm feeling good. They sell them on Amazon; I'm waiting for our registry discount to kick in! I'm thinking of getting these little pants too. They're so adorable and we get a discount with our first order.

Stay tuned for Diapering Part III to come after some real hands on experience.

lauren

No comments: