Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Diapering.

Today I'm sharing some of my thoughts on raising our child. Bare with me.

Lyle & I always try our best to be as green as we can within reason. We're not perfect and have a lot of room for improvement, but we do are best. We recycle, try to get our friends to recycle, compost, drive two hybrid cars, and reuse as much as we can. With this new little addition coming our way, we have been seriously considering doing cloth diapers. I have a good friend here in Greenville that switched to cloth with her youngest and has learned all the tricks that she's been sharing with me. I'm really inspired and feel it's something I can do. 

However, recently I was introduced by another friend to GDiapers. Have you heard of them?


They are a completely biodegradable, compostable, flushable diaper. GDiapers are actually the only green brand of diaper that is truly compostable and biodegradable. They take a mere 45 days to completely compost. Something to think about!


And an added bonus is that they aren't quite as bulky as most of the cloth diaper covers on the market these days. Plus the covers come in adorable colors and patterns. Fun, yah? One other bonus I found is that you can switch between the cloth diaper and the compostable diaper with these covers, so you're not committed to one method. They are a little more spendy than a traditional method, and even the cloth method. However, they seem to be less work than a cloth diaper and you're not using the water to wash like you are with cloth....and you don't have to keep that stinky diaper around until the service comes or you get a chance to do the wash! Simply take it out to the compost or flush it!

Pretty adorable, right?

And they have this great starter kit to get you all the essentials you need, then you just have to get the refills as needed. 


GDiapers are available through several sites: Amazon, Babies R Us, Target, Walmart, Walgreens, etc. So you're not limited to the one site. 

Now don't get me wrong, Lyle & I are no saints. I don't imagine that we will never touch a disposable diaper. As a matter of fact, I know that I'll be keeping a case on hand at all times: for Lyle to use when he's tired (me too!), for any nanny or sitter, and daycare if we take that route. And sometimes you just run out or need them for the ease. Of course there are the downfalls of green diapering...nothing is as easy and mess free as the disposable/traditional method, but these seem to be the closest thing from what I've read. We're not set in stone as of now, but this is what we're thinking. Any thoughts?

My hope is that we can for the most part be as green as we can in our diapering method. Wish us luck and I'll keep you posted!


lauren

1 comment:

LL said...

Good job, Lauren! These look like a good option. I hear that the cloth diapers are better for the landfills but the amount of water you use doing extra laundry negates any environmental good you are doing. There look awesome. Let me know how it goes.