Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Sisterly Love.

This past weekend I was so blessed to have my sweet sister come to visit me! It was such a perfect weekend. Lyle had been in Chicago from Wednesday until Sunday for a conference so it was perfect timing to have a girls' + one (Finn) weekend. 

We had never spent extended time together like this before and it was Brooke's first time away from her three adorable kids. She was such a trooper to make the trip; I'm so proud of her! I was most excited about the sleepover and getting to share a bed like we did when we were little, staying up late (or late to me!) chatting over wine, and just getting to show her some of my favorite parts of Greenville. It'd been a long time since she'd been in the South! 

I always love to have guests and visitors come to Greenville (hint hint). I thoroughly enjoy showing off my little town. Here are my top must-dos: 

-grab coffee and walk through Falls Park
-stroll down Main Street
-grab lunch at Brick Street Cafe
-introduce Chick-Fil-A (most westerners don't know of this!)
-walk "my walk" through our neighborhood
-shop at my favorite Kudzu
-fine dining Southern style 
-visit Carolina Ale House and grab a beer on the roof top bar

We managed to cross-off most of these activities this past weekend.


Just so I never forget the details of our weekend, I'm going to write them out (I did a really poor job of taking pictures, so they are taken from the sis's camera...hence I'm in a lot of them and she's not!): Friday night Brooke got in and we picked her up then got her some delicious Chick-Fil-A to fill her tummy. We stayed up until 1 am that night chatting while she ate and I of course had a glass of wine. 

Saturday morning Brooke let me go for a long run while Finn napped. It was so refreshing. We then headed to run some errands, grab a bit of lunch, then walked around Main Street for a bit. Finn didn't want to nap for us (bad mommy missed his nap time) so we put him in the Bob and went on a long walk through the neighborhood. It's always fun to see all the pretty houses and get some fresh air. Later that night after Finn went to bed, we ate some delicious pasta with some wine and did the last minute run to the grocery store for some peanut butter ice cream (couldn't find any...oh how I miss Tillamock ice cream!). The intent was to then watch a movie but of course we both fell asleep on the couch. Surprise-surprise.


Sunday morning we headed to church together, came home to eat lunch and put the Finnster down for his nap.  Meanwhile, Auntie Brooke worked on crocheting the little guy a hat and I tidied up and worked on Finn's baby book (Brooke! I never got to show it to you!). After Finn got up, we headed back downtown to grab a treat and walk through Falls Park before heading to the airport to pick up Lyle. Falls Park is a must when visiting Greenville. Plus, it was such a gorgeous day we really couldn't pass that up.

After getting the boys all settled back at the house, Brooke and I snuck out for a sister dinner at Soby's. I had to feed her some delicious fine southern food, and there really isn't a better place to go. We shared some shrimp and grits and some appetizers of fried green tomatoes and she-crab soup. Oh, and don't forget the cheddar biscuits they serve. Yumm yumm! Of course we had a couple glasses of wine. Wine not??!!

I'll admit, yesterday (Monday) I was exhausted. It took me a good portion of the day to get my act together. Lyle even watched Finn while we snuck out to do some shopping, but I didn't quite snap out of it until later that day around dinner time. I even had an extra coffee too! One nice thing about being with sisters is that they most always understand and don't take it personally. Brooke was so gracious and just stepped in and helped out with Finn so seamlessly. After Finn got his bath and I'd put him to bed that night, I came out of his room and dinner was just about made. What a special treat. Again we ate and chatted non-stop over wine about various odds and ends: motherhood, family, God, friends, food, and this-and-that.  Later I fell asleep on the couch during the season finale of Downton Abbey (season 1)....hahaha!






The weekend sped by so quickly and the next thing I knew it was this morning! So sad. Finn slept in a bit, meaning more sleep for me, but that meant we had to beat feet to get last minute shopping at Kudzu in and a lunch and piece of sweet potato cake at Brick Street Cafe before heading to the airport....tear tear. And that was it.

She's gone.



Sisters are so special. They are a unique kind of friend that can often be taken for granted. I'm so blessed to have a good one. Brooke has a very patient and giving heart that makes her so easy to be around. She loves me and accepts me for who I am, all my goods and bads. It's so easy to just be around her. She's an amazing mother raising three adorable, kind and spirited children. I can only hope and pray that mine are half of what they are. On top of that, she's a top notch wife, friend, auntie, daughter and hat maker. Thanks Brooke for traveling so far and leaving your family to come see us. We had such an amazing time and will remember this always. Finn is already missing you and can't wait for next year (hint hint).



See? He's ready to go pick you up at the airport!

xo, lauren

1 comment:

Brooke S. said...

It was the BEST weekend! I love you so much sis, I could never tell you that enough.