Thursday, January 26, 2012

A Week of Eating.

Ahhhh. Mom & Dad left yesterday afternoon. I was sad to see them go, but what a wonderful week we had; time sure flew by fast.  There was lots of good chatting, eating, laughing, walking, talking, eating, shopping, hiking, sleeping, eating...and cooking! Food is always such a big part of our family gatherings.

I thought I'd share a couple of the yummy recipes I tried (& Mom too) while they were here. I'm always up for a new dish, especially when they're easy....and these definitely were.

Thursday morning we got up to some morning coffee, threw into the slow-cooker a bunch of stuff and left it all day while we galavanted around town...we walked the neighborhood, did my Meals on Wheels route, ate at Brick Street Cafe where Lyle was able to join us (you can't pass up their cake!), and then the boys went to the BMW factory for a tour while Mom & I hit up some shopping. Maternity clothes....relief! Thanks Mom. When we came home and were finally hungry again, this is what we were able to enjoy....and it was a hit. I highly recommend this, especially when in the mood for some comfort food. Just click on the title to link you to the recipe if you're interested.


Friday night I was so fortunate to come home from work with a meal just about prepared and ready to go. Mom made us all a delicious dinner, Mexican Casserole. It was so tasty. I'll try to get the recipe and post if for you all incase you're interested. 

Saturday we spent the night up in Asheville, NC at a lovely little bed and breakfast. It was the Whitegate Inn & Cottage. If you ever take a trip up there for the night, this is a great place to crash. Very reasonable in price and you get a to die for three course breakfast the next morning. For dinner Saturday night, we ate at Salsa's; yummy Caribbean food. Another great place worth trying. Lyle & I had eaten there for lunch one time before on a day trip we'd made up there and knew it was worth returning to. Mom & Dad said it was one of their top best meals ever. Huh. We did more up there than just eat...but I'll write more about it later. 

Sunday we ate leftovers paired with a pizza from Mellow Mushroom, just incase there wasn't enough food to go around. Always a hit. 

Monday, Mom spoiled me again and had dinner all ready to go when we walked in the door from work. I had this dish all planned out to make for them, but I have to admit it was very nice to be treated with the meal cooked for us. Another great dish worth trying and could even be eaten as a breakfast/brunch dish. Mom said it was very easy as well. P.S. Eggs are good for the baby!


Tuesday we got up and had some quick morning coffee, did our walk, then went to Starbucks by our house for a latte and some breakfast. Then we spent the rest of day doing various jobs around the house, putting the crib together and getting a mattress, and mom and I sewed and taped the rug together that we half made/bought for the nursery. It turned out great! I'll give you a sneak peak later this weekend. Mom & I also hit up one of our favorite shops downtown, Kudzu, for a few goodies and gifts. I've written about it before here. For dinner that night, Lyle had to be out for a work dinner, so the three of us went out for one last meal to Soby's downtown. Such great southern food. I had a really tasty roasted vegetable dish, Mom had the duck, and Dad of course had the scallops. We also had some fried green tomatoes and grits on the side. Yummm. Again, they both felt it was one of their top favorite meals out. What a great way to end the lovely visit.

There was one more dish that I had planned to make, but we just didn't get around to it. I think I'll make it tonight since I have all the fixings. I think it will be another good one.


As I'd mentioned earlier, we did other things than just eat all week; I promise. I'll be sure to write more on that later. I just wanted to share with you some recipes that we found to be excellent and worth adding to the menu. Baby J sure enjoyed them...he definitely grew a bunch this last week! I hope you check them out. Let me know if you try them and what you think!

lauren

No comments: