Sunday, June 26, 2011

Our Garden & Such...

My parents recently came to visit in the middle of May. They were very generous and helped Lyle and I build raised garden beds in our back yard (well Lyle & my dad did the building, mom & I provided cold beverages & entertainment:). Yesterday Lyle and I finally got to filling the beds with dirt and were able to replant our tomato plant and some herbs.






My parents also got us an heirloom banana tomato plant from the Saturday Market. 
I wasn't sure why it was called a "banana" tomato plant, but now that we have a few growing 
I think I know why.
Notice the "banana"-like shape.
Maybe they'll be yellow as well!


Friday night we had some friends over for dinner. They have two adorable young girls, Sullivan and Sawyer. I had so much fun pulling out my old therapy toys and playing with them. It made me really miss my nephews. Lyle unexpectedly had to be in surgery until late and didn't get home until after we'd already eaten! Fortunately our friends are residents and completely understood. I guess this is the life we are in! We still had a good time; only would have been that much better if Lyle had been there. Anyway, it was a good excuse to cook. I made this yummy shrimp recipe. I think it will be a summer favorite because it's light, has shrimp, you don't need to actually cook anything, and has all the veggies you need within the dish. It's a Real Simple recipe (yes, I'm a little obsessed:). I deviated a bit from the recipe by using uncooked shrimp and sauteing them with the scallions and some portobello mushrooms. It's great for a hot summer evening and goes well with Pinot Grigio or Vino Verde wine. Yumm!

Lemony Shrimp Salad With Couscous







  • Saturday night was the annual Ortho Picnic. It's a way to kick off the new year and to welcome the new interns and their families. I can't believe Lyle's already a second year! His first year just zipped by! It seems like we were the ones that were just being introduced at the picnic as the "new kids", now we were the ones meeting the new kids. I'm afraid our time in Greenville is going to go by just as fast. We'll have to savor every moment here. This next year will be the most challenging, we are told. I'm sure Lyle will handle it with grace and we'll look back and wonder what all the hoopla was about. He'll be on call quite a bit and handling the ER by himself for the most part. But he'll get to be doing all orthopedics and learning a lot. That's why we are here.
    This year the picnic was at one of the third years' homes. Everyone brought a dish to share. I made this yummy jalepeno corn dish that I love. It has the perfect buttery jalepeno kick. I always add extra jalepeno because it's what really makes the dish extra yummy, but not too spicy. It's from the Bride and Groom First and Forever Cookbook. It was given to us as a wedding gift; I've used this book several times and really love it.


    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 jalapeno chiles, thinly sliced, seeded and deveined
  • 2 + cups corn kernels (you'll get about 1 cup from each ear of corn)
  • 2-4 tablespoons water, plus more if needed
  • salt and peper to taste
  • Heat the butter and jalapeno in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Cook until the butter is bubbling. Then, add the corn, 2 tbsp water and the salt and cook until the corn is tender, about 4 minutes. Add more water to the corn if needed to keep it from browning. Season with pepper to taste.








No comments: